 |
| Old Town Warsaw |
Warsaw was the first European city I visited. I went there in
October 2010 for a conference. First time in Europe, first time hostelling… I
didn’t really know what to expect. I had a quick 2-hour layover in London
Heathrow before arriving at the Chopin Airport around 2pm on a Sunday. The bus
ride to the hostel took a little over half an hour, and I could already tell I
was going to love this city. The Eastern European charm that I used to only see
in movies caught my attention right from the start. Before visiting Warsaw, I
had only been to places where I understood the local language, so this was also
a new challenge which I was glad to participate in.
 |
| Piwo |
Hostel Helvetia (Sewerynów 7, 00-001 Warsaw,
Poland) was the one
I chose, based on travelers’ reviews on Hostelworld.com (this should be your
go-to website for hostelling, and make sure to read the reviews). It was very
well located, only a few minutes from Old Town and right off of Nowy Swiat, one
of the main historic streets in the city. Overall a great hostelling
experience. The beds were reasonably comfortable, and they didn’t mind guests
drinking in the common living room until late. I have to admit that the idea of
co-ed showers seemed a little strange at first, but hey, “it’s Europe”, I
thought. I was a little jet-lagged after the long flight
(Miami-Boston-London-Warsaw), but excited enough to stay awake and do some mild
partying with fellow travelers Alex and Jason, from Perth, Australia, and
Michal, from Russia. We were later joined by a very sweet Polish girl named
Marta, and a few other travelers also participated in our small social event,
which merely consisted of drinking cold local beers (Warka, Żywiec, Tyskie and
Lech). Good enough for my first night in Europe.
After our free breakfast, the Aussies and I carefully planned our
sightseeing day and didn’t waste any time. We knew that the day was going to
end with several shots of Polish vodka right outside Old Town, so we had that
to look forward to. Bear in mind that fall weather in Poland can be quite
brutal, so we often saw locals walking around with grzane wino (‘mulled wine’ in English) to stay warm. To deal with
the 20-degree weather (or negative something for my fellow Australians), we
thought it was a good idea to grab a cup. We were right.
 |
| Palace of Culture and Science |
Our next stop was the Palace of Culture and Science (Pałac
Kultury i Nauki - Plac Defilad 1, Warszawa, Poland). Because we
wanted to learn about culture and science? Well, maybe a little. I think we
chose this place because it is the tallest building in Poland, and you can
enjoy breathtaking views of Warsaw from up there. We did learn a few things,
among which the fact that looking at someone and saying “Angielsku?” (English?)
can lead to a 5-minute explanation (in Polish) about something I wish we
understood. It was time to have some pierogis.
 |
| Pierogis |
If you’ve never had or heard of pierogis
before, they are basically dumplings which are boiled then either baked or
fried. In Warsaw you can find pierogis filled with pretty much anything under
the sun. We heard that the most traditional pierogi in Poland has beef and
cabbage in it. We ordered three orders of six pierogis each: the aforementioned
one, cheese and potatoes, and pork, nicely served with a tall glass of Żywiec. Happiness.
 |
| Some information on 'Mur Getta' |
With our bellies full, we thought it was
time to check out the Jewish Ghetto Memorial
(Plac Bohaterow Getta, Warsaw,
Poland). Be prepared to feel overwhelmed with melancholy. The whole city of Warsaw seems gloomy and sad
in October, but this was the saddest part. It’s hard to describe how it felt,
but I can say that the three of us didn’t say a word for at least thirty
minutes after leaving. A lot goes through your mind after you visit a place like
this, and you can’t help but reflect on how tragically unfair times were back
then. Trust me; your life does not suck.
 |
| Royal Castle |
Much
like Berlin, walking around Warsaw is like a much more fun history lesson.
Instead of listening to your boring teacher pretending to know what he’s
talking about, you can feel history in each quarter of town. Most of Warsaw was
destroyed by Nazi Germany during World War II, so a lot of what you’ll see
there was rebuilt less than 70 years ago. The architectural forms and designs
were kept in the new structures, and all of it is indeed quite charming. The Royal Castle (Plac
Zamkowy 4, Warszawa, Poland) is one of these
magnificent buildings, definitely worth visiting.
 |
| Bar Warszawa |
For
dinner, we headed over to Bar Warszawa one of the few milk bars left in town (located right outside Old Town). Milk bars were
much more common during the communist era, and are slowly disappearing.
Luckily, we found one that was open, with very tasty authentic Polish food
priced at close-to-nothing. It’s not a fabulous fine-dining experience.
Instead, it’s more like cafeteria-like food for the masses. Walking into one of
them feels like time-traveling back to the 1980s. The menus are not in English,
and the staff certainly does not speak English, so good body language is a
plus. This is definitely not the place for picky eaters. Everyone who works
there seems to be always in a bad mood, but you will not find comment cards
because they simply don’t care. Why would you want to go to a place like this?
You can actually find a young crowd there as students generally frequent milk
bars due to their abnormally low prices (a meal including soup and a cold local
brew will cost you about 15zl, about $5). It is also a cultural experience as
you see (and taste) a little bit of Eastern-Bloc Poland.
We
then headed over to a small bar with a local vibe for vodka shots. Pure
Polish
vodka goes down like water, which may explain why I can't remember the
name of this bar. After mingling with some college students, they
suggested we try Wyborowa and Zoladkowa Gorzka, before tasting the
famous Žubrowka
(bison grass vodka). Hint: college students generally speak some
English, so
don’t be shy and buy them a drink. It’s a nice way to enjoy the city as
the
locals do, and learn about things they don’t teach you in the
guidebooks. They
can tell you, for example, where to get the best kebab in Warsaw at 3am,
and
will kindly stumble there with you. We manage to get to Efes (Aleja Niepodległości 80).
Super cheap, super unhealthy, but super delicious.
 |
| Karaoke at Nora s.c. Pub |
As in any
other hostel, travelers are always coming and going. If you spend more than
four days in the same hostel, you’ll typically meet twice the amount of
people, since they generally stay for two nights before heading to their next
destination. After traveling all over
Europe, I started to wonder if there were any Australians left down under, or
if every Aussie was indeed backpacking in Europe or South America. Chris is
another one of these adventure-loving fellows. I met him the day before I
left Warsaw. Since it was my last night there, I didn’t want to drink too
much before getting on a plane at 7am, so we headed over to Nora s.c. Pub (Krakowskie
Przedmieście 20/22 00-001 Warsaw, Poland) for karaoke night. This pub is
located about a block from University of Warsaw, and therefore you can expect
to find a young crowd having a good time there. Mingling is a must! They want
to practice their English, you want to experience the city from a local’s
perspective, everyone wins!
|
I
had a great time in Warsaw. We constantly hear that Eastern
Europeans are generally cold and rude to foreigners, and I can guarantee
that
this wasn’t the case in Poland. Everyone was friendly and treated me
with respect.
They even taught me a few survival words, which to this day I still
remember. I will be sure to use them again next time I’m over there.
Hey =D
ReplyDeleteNice post to start a blog! I think it will be very useful for the ones who are planning trips! And informative as well to anyone...
Loved the photos! Especially the one that you're wearing the fortaleza's team shirt!
Good luck with this =D... It doesn't seem to be your first blog!
Love you, big hands hahaha
Day