The chilly ferry ride from Vienna
to Bratislava took a little over an hour. The Twin-City Liner takes you on a
fast trip down the Danube River from Schwedenplatz to Old Town Bratislava for €30.
There is a bus that costs only €9, but I felt like a little contact with nature
would be necessary at some point. There’s a bar on the ferry, where you can
order cold cans of Budweiser for two euros. Not the Budweiser we get in the US,
but the one brewed in Ceske Budejovice (aka Budweis), the original one. I
grabbed a can and headed to the deck, but the cold wind and the effects I felt
from the drunken walk in Vienna made me go back inside in less than fifteen
minutes. Contact with nature: check! Time for a nap! When I woke up, I was in
Slovakia.

I have to admit that my first
impression of Bratislava made me think of the famous quote from Eurotrip: “It's good you came in summer, in
winter it can get very depressing.” Once we all got
off the boat, it almost seemed as if people started disappearing. I found
myself alone on a Saturday afternoon in Old Town Bratislava. It was also cloudy
and chilly, which contributed to the melancholic feel. The walk to Hostel Blues
took about twenty minutes, and all I saw on the way there were a few parked
cars, but no drivers anywhere near them. I was in a ghost town.
The hostel
was all right. The front desk where you check in happens to be a bar as well
(great!), and the receptionist/bartender gives you a coupon for a free drink
along with the key to your room. I dropped off my stuff, took a quick shower
and came back down for some mild socializing with the other guests. My free
drink was a half-liter bottle of Staropramen, traditional Prague beer. I
approached a group and quickly engaged in conversation about what to do that
night. No one had any idea; they all agreed that it was a little scary out
there since it looked like all the locals were in hiding. While some of them
chose to just chill at the hostel, I was somehow feeling adventurous. I grabbed
a map from the bar/reception and successfully convinced two of them to come
with me, an American guy about my age and a Chinese woman in her mid-20s. First
stop: Slovak Pub.
Slovak Pub (Obchodná 613/62 81106
Bratislava - Staré Mesto-Old Town) joined the Tasquinha as one of my top five restaurants. This
place was huge. We walked in and saw what looked like a tiny dive bar on the
right, with a few tables on the left and stairs leading to the 2nd
floor. We walked up the stairs and saw that the restaurant didn’t have an end.
It looked like a maze filled with tables and waiters running around. The
mystery had been solved: the streets were empty because everyone was at the
Slovak Pub. We chose one of the 75,000 tables, and the waitress came shortly
after.
There was something particularly
interesting about this restaurant. They have a menu for students, which consisted
of soups, snacks and some beverages at a very low cost. In addition, (no joke),
if you get an “A” on your exam, you can show them your grade and get free soup
and Kofola (Czechoslovakian version of Coke). I thought that was a nice
incentive. Our waitress didn’t speak any English, but the menu had English and
German descriptions of the main dishes. We attempted to ask for suggestions,
and after consulting another waiter and the busboy, she recommended bryndzové
halušky and bacova kapsa. The first one was a very rich dish with potato
dumplings and lots, loooooots of traditional Slovak cheese. The second dish was
unbelievably delicious. Also called Shepherd’s Bag, bacova kapsa is, simply,
put, a spicy pork mixture in a potato pancake. A more detailed description of
that mixture would be charcoal-grilled pork with peas, chilies, a thick gravy
and ketchup, served with vegetables. We shared that and had some tea, while
debating whether or not to join the Bratislava Pub Crawl. This one was 15
euros, but looking at how ridiculously cheap everything was, we decided to
follow the pub crawl and just pay for our consumption.

After dinner, we walked to the
first stop of the Pub Crawl, where we mingled with some French and Spanish
travelers. I don’t remember what it was called, in fact I don’t remember a lot
of things from that night, but this was an underground pub that served shots of
real Slovak absinth for one euro. Keep ‘em coming (bad idea)! One of the French
guys lit the shot glasses on fire, so we could drink them “the right way”. A
few shots later, we thought we’d check out another place, so our group, which
was then nine people, stumbled outside and started walking aimlessly, because
apparently that’s what you do in ghost town Bratislava at midnight. The goal
was to walk until we found a cool hangout spot, and Tatyana’s eyes convinced us
to stop at the Sunshine Bar (Obchodná 37, Bratislava).
Tatyana ‘s job was to stand
outside with a tray filled with free shots of some kind of liqueur and talk
people into coming in for the “party”. She looked incredibly bored, so I stood
there and chatted with her for a few minutes until I started seeing some smiles.
Her boss, a 6’5’’ 300lb man, came outside and screamed at her for not doing “her
job”. He also gave me that “I’m going to eviscerate you” kind of stare. I could
see why she hated her job so much. That dick of a boss was also the bartender,
so I met him again a few minutes later. One shot of absinth and a beer: three
euros. Give him a five, and it’ll be five euros. Ask him for your change, and
he’ll turn purple and annihilate you.
We were just sitting at a table
outside when a creepy guy approached us and offered us drugs. He introduced
himself and invited us to a party in the outskirts of Bratislava. We didn’t get
a good first impression of him, so we politely said “No thanks”. One thing is
to approach a local and engage in conversation to then be invited to a party.
Another is when a local comes up to a group of tourists and says: “yo, I got
some cocaine, let’s go to this crazy party about forty minutes from here”,
which we understood as: “yo, I’m going to rob you and most likely kill you and
dump your body somewhere about forty minutes from here”.
Everything after that were just
hazy memories. At some point there was a bar fight. Some kid took his pants off
on the street. I remember we ate some
fruit, might have been a vegetable. All I know is that I woke up at 10am the
next day with the housekeeper screaming at me in Slovak, no idea how I got
there. I would have believed that it all had been a dream, if my head wasn’t pounding,
and I didn’t feel like the devil had punched me in the stomach. Everyone had
already checked out, and I was the last one there. In addition, my train to
Ceske Budejovice was departing in less than two hours, so I really had to go. I wasn’t in the
best shape for the 8-hour train ride that awaited me. I dragged myself to the
train station trying not to pass out.
No comments:
Post a Comment