Braga is a town located in
northern Portugal, about 45 minutes from Porto. My visit to this city was
nothing like I had originally expected. I was there for four days to “go to
school”, so I thought it was going to be lame and boring; classes every day, no
one knows anyone, not enough time to make friends. I was wrong, very wrong, and
again I’m happy to admit that.
I took the Urbanos train from
Campanhá in Porto and arrived in Braga in exactly 1h15min. There’s another
train that costs 13 euros and gets you there 15 minutes faster. The Urbanos
only cost a little over 2 euros, and it also meant my nap would be fifteen
minutes longer, so I didn’t think twice. One thing about traveling is that you
can be exhausted at random times, generally a result of drinking the night
before and always having to go somewhere. Napping on trains and planes is
highly recommended, so you have more energy when you get to your destination.
Just make sure you have your legs around your backpack so that you wake up in
case someone tries to rob you. Yes, that happens.
Centro João Wesley (Tv Dr.
Francisco Machado Owen, 45, 4715-022 Braga, Portugal) was the hostel
I chose in Braga. It was very cheap (10 euros a night) and I had my own room
with a bathroom. You can also get your laundry done there for only €1.50. They
also have a living room with cable TV and games. I got there right in time for
some ‘feijoada’ made from scratch by João, a fellow Brazilian guest. Feijoada
can be classified as a pork and bean stew, generally served with white rice, collard
greens and oranges. This is the national
dish of Brazil, although some claim it originated in Portugal. Regardless of
where it came from, this one was perfect. The smell that came from the kitchen
once I walked in brought me back memories of delicious home cooked meals. It
made me smile, and that smile meant, “I need to stuff my face!” And that I did.

The summer school took place at
Universidade do Minho, which was a good 30-minute walk from the hostel. It was
much more interesting than I expected. I will not talk too much about that
because I’m aware that you don’t care. Let’s just say that besides presenting a
poster and learning a lot, I had the pleasure of meeting some people who made
those four days unforgettable, like Sara, Renata and Angela. To my surprise, Angela
also spoke Portuguese and Spanish, besides English and her native German. She
is a very down-to-earth girl, who loves traveling and exploring different
places, so we connected right away. She was couch surfing with Erasmus students
Francisco and Walter, from Chile and Argentina, respectively. They had been
living in Braga for a few months, so they already knew things that weren’t in
the guidebooks. Needless to say, hanging out with the three of them was an immensurable
pleasure.
The weather in Braga in the
summer can be quite confusing. If you need a jacket today, chances are that
tomorrow you’ll be drenched in sweat. Our plan for that hot afternoon consisted
of visiting the Bom Jesus do Monte Sanctuary (and consequently, being drenched
in sweat). This place is also a pilgrimage site. It’s located on a hilltop, and
it takes about an hour to get there walking from Universidade do Minho, a
little longer if you go up the stairs. We paid one euro to ride the funicular,
so we could get up there faster (not because we were tired of walking). Walking
is the best way to stay in shape when you’re traveling, since you most likely
will be gorging yourself and drinking much more often than you do at home. Once
we reached the top, we visited the Bom Jesus Church and enjoyed the view from
up there. There’s also a park up there, called Parque do Bom Jesus, with ice
cream stands, grottos and artificial lakes with boats for rent. There’s also a
tiny little kiosk with tables outside in case you’re dying for an ice cold beer
after reaching the hilltop. Well earned prize! Saying that we chose beer over
ice cream is probably unnecessary at this point.

That was a moment of reflection.
The four of us were enjoying our Super Bocks discussing language and lifestyles (and bugs and butterflies, I believe).
A few beers later, the conversation was getting more and more philosophical as
it should. I already loved Portugal, and that moment made me love it even more.
But it gets MUCH better than that. We chose to take the stairs down to help
sober up. I know that doesn’t sound like the smartest idea, but luckily no one
got injured. I learned that each set of stairs has a specific meaning. There
are religious statues and candles along the way. No bathrooms, though, so that,
and the fact that we were starving, made us almost teleport to Tasquinha Bracarense
(Rua Nova Santa Cruz, nº 34 - loja 3 Gualtar Braga), which would soon become my
favorite restaurant in the whole world.

Located right next to the
university, Tasquinha Bracarense is perfect for students, hence the young crowd.
What can five euros get you in Europe? If you answered a glass of wine or soft
beverage, bread, a bowl of soup, the entrée of your choice, dessert and coffee,
you are most likely wrong, unless you’re talking about this restaurant. You get
all of the above, in that specific order, and the food is so good that you don’t
want it to end. Ever. I ordered the “Alheira”, Portuguese style sausage made
with different meats other than pork and served with a fried egg on top. The
dish came with French fries, rice and a salad, and every time I took a bite of
it, two angels high-fived each other in Food Heaven. I went back two other
times for lunch, and will go back there several times when in Braga again. That’s
money very well spent right there. More about that lovely evening and the
amazing time I had in Braga in the next post.
No comments:
Post a Comment