Passport Control is my humble attempt to share my travel experiences around the globe. Here, you’ll find detailed information about the places I’ve visited, such as cool bars and hangout spots, as well as restaurants and even some museums and churches. I also include information about hostelling, plane tickets, train passes and other useful tips for the ones who are tired of sitting at home and ready to take over the world.

Fernando Pessoa, one of the greatest Portuguese poets of all time, once said: “Navegar é preciso; viver não é preciso” (Sailing is necessary, living is not necessary). With this in mind, I decided to conquer the world one country at a time. Living becomes much more fun when you see/eat/do things you never thought existed. I’m still new to this, so I’m aware there’s still a lot to discover. In the meantime, please enjoy what I’ve gathered so far. More countries and more cities will be added to the current list every year.

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Ceske Budejovice, Czech Republic (Part 1)


The night I spent in Bratislava was fun. The food was great, and the drinks were dirt cheap. The next morning, however, didn’t feel so good. My head was about to explode. It felt like my stomach was inside out, and my liver about to jump out of my mouth. I needed to stay in bed all day, but that wasn’t an option. I had to go to Ceske Budejovice that Sunday for my first EGG (Eastern Generative Grammar) Summer School, which started the following day. I bought a large bottle of water, made my way to the train station and boarded the EC towards Brno, Czech Republic.

The trip took about an hour and a half. There were no empty seats, so I had to stand the whole way there (not fun, especially if you’re hungover). My stomach was growling when I got to Brno. I wasn’t sure if I was hungry or sick, but I knew for sure I didn’t want to see or smell any kind of alcohol. I wanted something like the Caldo Gallego I had in Santiago, or the soup-like concoction my dad makes called “Levanta Defunto” (rise from the dead). I know every country has its own hangover antidotes, and in Czech Republic, I learned that it was called Gulášová polievka.

Gulášová polievka is goulash soup, of Hungarian origin but a Czech/Slovak favorite. It is a very hearty soup with beef, onions, potatoes and different kinds of herbs and spices. This is a must if you’re in the area (hungover or not). I really enjoyed it. I also enjoyed the fact that the bowl of soup at the train station cost me less than one dollar. I was in Czech Republic, where euros still haven’t been implemented. The Czech Koruna (CZK) is the local currency there, and the exchange rate makes American dollars worth a lot.

From Brno, I caught a bus to Middle of Nowhere, which is the name I gave to the location where I transferred to the Regional train to Budejovice. I can’t remember the exact Czech name of the town, but I know it had three words, with possibly more than forty consonants and at least twenty diacritics. No one at that train stop spoke English. If you can still feel the gloominess and sadness left by so many years of Communism in Bratislava, I can tell you that, in country town Czech Republic, that feeling is ten times more intense. It’s like stepping back into 1980s Czechoslovakia.

I finally arrived in Ceske Budejovice at 8pm that Sunday. I took the bus to the University of South Bohemia - Jihočeská univerzita, where the EGG was taking place that year. I found a seat close to the front and tried not to fall asleep. A few minutes later, I heard a voice that sounded familiar, saying what sounded like my name. Was I dreaming? I looked back and saw Carolina, fellow linguist from Lisbon whom I had the pleasure of meeting during my first week there. We had talked about the EGG then, but arriving there exactly at the same time was a huge coincidence. She was with a large group of linguists that had come on the train from Prague, and right after we got off the bus, I was introduced to each of them.

Like the Braga post, this one will not talk much about the summer school itself, but the good time I had and the awesome people I met in Ceske Budejovice.  Carolina introduced me to a goofy looking Italian guy who half an hour later became my roommate. Fabrizio and I were a two-man team during those two weeks. I also met Alex, who had driven there from his native France with an American named Christen. Veronique had come from Brussels; Nataša and Jovana were Serbians studying in France. Another member of that group was Amui, whom I worked with at FIU. That was our “gang”, which got much larger as new members were being added day after day. We checked in at the dorms, dropped off our bags and headed over to the “City Center” for dinner.

On a Sunday night, that seemed like an impossible mission. Most restaurants we saw on the way were closed. We ended up at Jack Bar Restaurant (Panská 183 370 01 Czech Budejovice) for typical Czech cuisine at affordable prices. This became our favorite restaurant in town. It was a bit distant from the dorms, but it was relatively cheap and had great food and drinks. The goulash soup I had in the afternoon had certainly cured my hangover, so I was all ready for a cold Černy Pivo (dark beer). No regrets there. My liver clapped and screamed words of joy after every sip I took. I was going to be in Czech Republic, where beer is a religion, for two whole weeks! This was just the beginning of a somehow unexpectedly amazing journey, which will be depicted here in the next posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment